If you’re like most people, you probably don’t pay much attention to what gets flushed down into the toilets of your home. However, without preventing certain items from going down into your drains from your home’s toilets, you could end up with a serious clogging issue on your hands. To prevent clogs from becoming a problem, make sure that you never flush these five common items down the toilet.
- Cigarette Butts- Cigarette butts are one item that many people flush down toilets simply because they’re small and seem relatively harmless. However, since they aren’t biodegradable, cigarette butts should always go in the trash.
- Floss- After you’re done flossing, it may seem easier just to throw the floss into the bowl of one of your toilets. However, floss can easily snag on rough pipes and cause problems within your plumbing system.
- Large Wipes- Face wipes, Swiffer pads, paper towels, and diaper wipes all may initially seem flushable. However, if there’s even a small clog starting to form in one of your drains, a large wipe could significantly exacerbate the problem.
- Dryer Sheets- While it may seem like there’s no way that a dryer sheet could cause problems if they’re flushed, these sheets contain toxic chemicals that could lead to serious issues at your city’s water treatment facilities if allowed down into your drainage system.
- Toilet Bowl Scrubbing Pads- Like dryer sheets, toilet bowl scrubbing pads also contain harsh cleaning agents that are difficult to cleanse from water. Instead of flushing them, always put them in the trash.